How to Exclude Files From Backups in WHM
To exclude files or directories from your user backups, perform either of the following actions:
- Exclude the files from all users’ backups
- Exclude the files from an individual user’s backups.
The global and local exclude files apply to the account backups that you manage in WHM’s Backup section (Home >> Backup) and the Download or Generate a Full Website Backup feature in cPanel’s(Home >> Files >> Backup).
- If you initiate a backup in cPanel’s (Home >> Files >> Backup), the global and local exclude files do not affect the contents of the backup file.
- If you perform a backup with the
/scripts/pkgacctscript, the global and exclude files do not affect the contents of the backup file.
Global exclude file
/etc/cpbackup-exclude.conf file exclude files with a filespec relative to anywhere that the backup script functions. To exclude files or directories from your backups for all user accounts, add those files or directories to the
The backup system excludes the following files and directories for all users’ backups by default:
*/.wysiwygPro_* */core.[0-9] .MirrorSearch .cpan .cpanel/caches .cpanel/datastore .cpcpan .sqmailattach access-logs public_ftp/.ftpquota
Local exclude file
To exclude files or directories from an individual user’s backups, add the files or directories to exclude to the
cpbackup-exclude.conf file in the user’s directory, one per line.
If the file does not already exist, you must create it. To do this, run the following command:
- In this example,
usernamerepresents the name of the user who owns the files or directories.
- If you enter a directory name, the backup system excludes all of the files that are inside the directory.
- Do not include leading or trailing characters of any kind, such as slashes (
/) or periods (