How to create a page template in Shopify
- Log into your Shopify admin panel and navigate to Online Store -> Themes section.
- Click the dots button and select Edit HTML/CSS option.
- Locate the Templates folder and click the Add a new template link.
- Let’s create a new template for the Contacts page. Select the page option in the drop-down list and give it a name (for example,contact.alternate). You can also choose other options available for a new template (article, blog, product, etc.).
- Press the Create template button to save your new page template.
- Once your new page template is created, it will appear in the Templates folder so that you will be able to edit it. In our case it is page.contact.alternate.liquid file.
- When a new template is created, you will see the standard code in its file. You can edit it in order to fit your needs. For instance, let’s openpage.contact.liquid file and copy its content to our new template so that you can modify it.
Let’s remove the Google map code from this template to see how it works. Press the Save button at the top to save your changes.
- Now you need to assign your new template to a page (Contact Us page in our case). Navigate to Online Store -> Pages section and open Contact Us page.
- Locate the Template section on the right side of the screen. Select your new template in the drop-down list (page.contact.alternate template in our case).
- Press the Save button to save your changes.
- Refresh your website page to see the changes. The Contacts page is using our new template now. You can edit the template’s file further to your liking.
Now you know how to create a page template in Shopify.