Today we’re going to show you an easy and bulletproof way of masking affiliate links.
There are two possible ways how one can do it:
- Via installing a plugin.
- Via editing .htaccess file
The first option is quite easily and can be done in just a few minutes, while the second one requires an FTP access and more precision of yours.
What’s a link (masking) cloaking? It’s a method of turning long and ugly affiliate links into shorter and branded.
This means that something like this:
…can be transformed into this:
- You’ll be able to track clicks thus understand how many money those clicks have made.
- You’ll be able to protect your links from hijacking (yes, there are people who can do it).
The Plugin Method
Among all affiliate cloaking plugins we’re going to choose ThirstyAffiliates plugin. It’s super-easy to use and with its help you’ll be able to transform all your ugly affiliate links into user friendly ones.
- Enter your WordPress website admin panel
- Go to the plugins section, hit Add new
- Into the search type in the name of the plugin ThirstyAffiliates
- Hit Install Now
- Inside your dashboard a new menu item will appear
- Hover Affiliate Links menu item and click Add New
- Affiliate link editor will load
- Now you need to add link name and the UPR itself, don’t forget to tick Open this link in new window?
- Hit Save Link, and your user-friendly URL is ready.
Just copy and paste it where it was.