How to add/manage product attributes and options in OpenCart
Login to your OpenCart admin panel. In your browser address bar type http://yourdomain.com/admin. If you have installed your Opencart under a subfolder “store” for an example the above URL will change to http://yourdomain.com/store/admin
Login using your username and password.
- Product Attributes are features that will be compared side by side by the customer when deciding on which item to choose using Product Comparison.
- Navigate to Catalog > Attributes > Attribute Groups and click Insert button to add new attribute group.
- Define Attribute Group Name and Sort Order. 0 1 2 etc. 0 – is displayed first, 1 – is desplayed second etc.
- Navigate to Catalog > Attributes > Attributes and click Insert button to add new attribute
- Define Attribute Name. Select Attribute Group we have just created from the drop-down menu and define Sort Order.
- To link attributes to the product navigate to Catalog > Products and select the product you would like to add attributes for
- Click Edit link to edit the product and select Attribute tab
- Click Add Attribute button, then begin typing the name in the Attribute box. A drop-down list will appear for you to select the correct Attribute Name.
- Type all the possible choices for this product in Text box.
- Repeat the above steps for each attribute.
- Click Save button to save the changes.
- Product attributes are displaying under Specifications tab on product details page.
- Product Options are choices that customers must select to personalize a product during checkout. Examples are sizes and colors.
- Navigate to Catalog > Options and click Insert button to add a new option
- Define Option Name and select Type. The following types are available: radio button, checkbox, optional text field, a file upload, date, time, or date & time.
- Set Sort Order
- Click Add Option Value button and define Option Value Name.
- Repeat the step for each option value.
- To link options to the product navigate to Catalog > Products and select the product you would like to add attributes for
- Click Edit link to edit the product and select Option tab
- Begin typing the name of the option for this product, and a drop-down list will appear with all the options that match.
- Set Required to YES if you want customer to be forced to select an option, or NO to let them check out without choosing.
- Click Add Option Value button
- Select option value from the Option Value drop-down menu
- If you are tracking stock, set the quantity of this option.
- If you wish to track stock levels of this item, set Subtract Stock to YES. Otherwise select NO.
- Price field – If you wish to charge extra (or less) for this product, enter the amount here. EXAMPLE: Men’s extra large t-shirts cost $2 more from the manufacturer. The “+$2.00” will appear in the option box of your store.
- Points field – If you wish to give Reward Points for purchasing this option, which customers can redeem for additional merchandise, enter the number of points. Turn Reward Points On or Off in Extensions > Order Totals > Reward Points.
- Enter the weight of this option to Weight field if it is significantly heavier or lighter than the normal option to charge extra (or less) in shipping this option.
- Repeat the above steps for each Option Value
- Press Save button to save the changes
- Product Options are displayed under the product price as the rule.