Hacking With Kali Linux
Why Kali Linux?
The problem with beginners
Hacking is an art, and it takes years of practice to master it. So how to get started? Having no idea about hacking is okay, but being a newbie with computers in general is not allowed. When I say beginner, I mean someone who has no experience with programming and with hacking methodologies. I didn’t mean someone who needs a 1 page guide on how to download a tool. If you want to be a hacker, you have to work hard. So how to get started?
Now, I am not boring you with theory (^ As if all this wasn’t enough theory). My aim is to get you to the point where you can start hacking with Kali Linux as soon as possible. What I’m gonna do is tell you what to do. The process is rather simple :-
- If you are totally clueless as to what Kali Linux is – Go to Kali’s official website and get an idea.
- If you haven’t already done that,go to their download page and download Kali Linux iso file.
Things get tough now
If you have no previous experience with Linux and virtual machines and all that stuff, getting Kali Linux up and running won’t be a piece of cake.You have 2 options 3 options :
1. Read the Kali official documentation
That will give you an idea about what is a virtual machine, how OS can be run from USB, and how to create a partition and run 2 OS simultaneously. This is what I recommend.
2. Read my modified version of Kali documentation
The second option is to look at these posts, which are just sparingly modified (and now outdated) versions of the Kali docs, and offer no advantage other than saving your time as their documentations cover much more than what the ones here do, and you don’t really need to know all so much… yet. I’m linking them up here:
- Installing Kali Linux On Hard Disk using USB (easiest)
- Dual Boot Kali (alongside Windows) (not easy, fairly risky, can result in data loss if done improperly)
- Install Kali Linux in VmWare complete detailed guide (moderaltely easy)
3. Utilize the zillions of tutorials on YouTube(New option)
Command Line Interface
Some Useful Commands:
- The default username and password is ‘root‘ and ‘toor‘.
- Type ‘poweroff‘ in the terminal to shutdown.
- apt-get command can be used to install tools and updates.
- apt-get update and apt-get upgrade will update all the programs installed on your machine.
- apt-get dist-upgrade will install the latest distribution of Kali(i.e. it upgrades your OS).
Assuming you’ve gone through the above steps and are comfortable with your new hacking environment, its time to do some real hacking with Kali Linux. My recommendation would be to start by hacking a wifi, then do some penetration testing, and maybe read something on Denial of Service when you have free time. Links here-