Emails AutoConfig and Autodiscover in WHM
The AutoConfigure (AutoConfig) and Autodiscover services quickly and easily configure a user’s mail client to receive their cPanel email. These services work with Outlook®, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, and most other popular mail clients.
Enable AutoConfig and Autodiscover
To enable AutoConfig and Autodiscover, perform the following steps:
- Navigate to the Domains section of WHM’s Tweak Settings interface (Home >> Server Configuration >> Tweak Settings).
- Locate the Proxy subdomains setting and select On.
- Locate the Thunderbird and Outlook autodiscover and autoconfig support (enables proxy subdomain and SRV record creation) setting and select On.
- Click Save.
You can find the following additional AutoConfig and Autodiscover settings in the Domains section of WHM’s Tweak Settings interface (Home >> Server Configuration >> Tweak Settings):
Preferred mail service to configure to use for Thunderbird and Outlook® autodiscover and autoconfig support
This setting allows you to choose the email transfer method to use with Thunderbird and Outlook with Autodiscover and AutoConfig support.
This setting defaults to imap.
- We recommend that you select IMAP and not POP3.
- You must enable the Thunderbird and Outlook autodiscover and autoconfig support (enables proxy subdomain and SRV record creation) option in order to configure this setting.
Host to publish in the SRV records for Outlook autodiscover support
Microsoft Outlook®’s Autodiscover service searches DNS for an SRV record for an email inbox’s domain that points to a particular server for Autodiscover. By default, this server is
This setting allows system administrators to perform the following actions:
- Choose the host that the system publishes to the SRV records.
- Change the default host if they have an SSL-enabled host with an SSL certificate that a Certificate Authority signs.
- Use their own server for Outlook® Autodiscover. Enter that server’s Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) in the available text box.
- When you enable the Host to publish in the SRV records for Outlook autodiscover support feature, the system queries the server that you specify for the Autodiscover settings. You must have a custom XML file for this feature to function properly.
For more information about Microsoft Outlook’s Autodiscover feature, visit Microsoft’s Support website.
Use AutoConfig and Autodiscover
To use AutoConfig and Autodiscover, enter a cPanel email address and password in your mail client. The services will automatically configure your mail client.